Planning for your retirement doesn’t take place in a vacuum. You need to know your strengths and interests – and your likes and dislikes. You might also gather ideas by seeing what others are doing and saying. Please see the articles below and the member contributions in Retirement Options.
Queensland Government – Retirement Planning Checklist This site provides a useful timeline of matters to be considered when planning for retirement. It also includes links to other sites offering helpful information.
First State Super – Retirement – Preparing for life after work Here you will find links to advice on budgeting, transition to retirement, income streams, pensions, superannuation and a retirement strategy calculator.
Parliament of Australia – Select Committee on Superannuation – Planning for Retirement – July 2003 This link provides access to the entire comprehensive report but individual parts and chapters can also be specifically downloaded from the same page. Particular attention is drawn to Part III (Chapters 11 to 14) which addresses ways in which to assist older workers plan for their retirement. These recommended chapters cover the topics of current planning for retirement in Australia, the quality of paid financial advice, government and superannuation fund assistance, and non-financial planning for retirement.
Useful website articles:
Life after the principalship This American article provides some interesting ideas for utilising the many skills of a principal in post-retirement activities. This and other articles of interest can be accessed from the above link.
Preparing emotionally for retirement 70-year old Jay Cassie relates her story of how she prepared emotionally for retirement and the 3-point plan which helped her.
- Robust Retirement (John Frew) * July 2021 **NEW**
- Reflections on retirement five years on (Suzan Dickson) * October 2019
- Reflections on the last two years – and a chance to reinvent myself (Geoff Hastings) * October 2018
- My story of retirement (Ruth Ernest) *
- My perspective – Bliss is too small a word (Jude Felton) *
- Retirement in a Small Town (Rod McClure) *
- Strategies for transitioning to retirement (Angela O’Callaghan) *
- Retirement Plan – What plan? – Do I need a plan? (Tim Jurd) *
- Managing Retirement – How to avoid moving from the penthouse to the basement overnight (Frank Stanton) *
- Retirement expectations versus realities (Ken Gill) *
- Retiring to the Farm (Louise Manwaring)^ *
- Advice before you separate from the Department (Kim Jackson) *
- Some tips about the actual process of retiring from DoE (Jacqueline Koob) *
- Post separation employment and the NSW DoE (Code of Conduct 2017)
- Understanding your post-retirement options (Ian Paterson) *
- Less tension, more pension (Sean Bowen) *
- First reflections upon retirement (John Frew) *
- Managing your retirement (John List) *
- Retirement – when having no plan becomes the plan (Pam Ryan) *
- The challenges of retirement (Ann Kershaw) *
- Putting Principal knowledge and experience to good use (Jim McAlpine) *
- Some important issues to consider about working post-retirement (Brian Ralph) *
- My retirement and subsequent return to the Principalship (Frank Pikardt) *
- Taking opportunities remaining as a principal post retirement (Christine Cawsey) *
- Making best use of your Principal expertise post-retirement (Terry O’Brien) *
- Retirement planning and reality (Bronlyn Schoer)^ *